Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ironic consumerism


I was browsing at a Ross store the other day. My rule is to browse one day and come back to buy on Geezer Tuesday for the discount. If it's not worth making a second trip, it's not worth buying.

Anyway, Ross often has quality stuff at a discount, but they've also got a lot of godawful garish crap, made in China, and very inexpensive. This got me to thinking. Living in a consumerist society as I do, I have some choices to make. I can play the game and pay up for recognizable brands and try to impress people. I can hunt for bargains at Ross and maybe find a recognizable brand half off. Or I can shop at Wal-Mart and people will instantly recognize me as the type of person who shops at Wal-Mart.

Or... I can buy godawful garish crap at Ross and people will think, "duhhh, I get it! He's being ironic. How clever of him."



One does have to avoid paying up for irony. I saw a bottle labeled "Cheap Red Wine" that was twice as expensive as Inglenook Burgundy, which really is a cheap red wine, only without the irony.

No comments: