Friday, November 30, 2007

Blue sudoku tiles

CET suggested the palette for this pattern, based on my rainbow sudoku. The problem is that it is hard to find nine shades of blue that are easy to tell apart.

I think this pattern would be good on the bottom of a swimming pool. It could be manufactured as a puzzle, where the 20 or so clue tiles are glued to a mesh, and the other tiles are loose. The tile layer would have to solve the sudoku as he laid the tile.

I'll do the same for anyone who sends me the hex values for nine colors. See colr.org for some tools.

1 comment:

TTB said...

A swimming pool could be very nice, but I think I'd go with a stained glass window first. Or maybe an area rug.

The lines look like they have a slight wave or shimmer to them, but when I blew it up they are straight. Looks like the effect may be in part from the blurring around the edges of the most intensly blue tiles. Might be nice to increase the effect. Anyway, I vote for a window, say, oh, about 10 X 30 feet. Church size. You'd have fun getting it to the Mainland, tho.

There are some old Central Asian kilims, Iranian mostly, with similar designs and a strong wave as they are made on portable looms which disassemble for tossing on the donkey or camel, so they never duplicated the warp tension from one place to another. And the women who wove them weren't interested in straight lines (good thing). Anyway, they have a similar and very nice effect.